Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:10:05 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: still trouble with IP-Filter in 4.4-prerel

i do my updating the following way:

cvsup (src-all, following RELENG_4)
make buildworld
make buildkernel MYKERNEL
make installkernel MYKERNEL
make installworld

then mergemaster and reboot. i use this procedure for almost a year
now, and used to work well.

ls -laF /sbin/ipf yields:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  - 30432 Mar 19 19:12 /sbin/ipf*
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
ipf -V (in 4.4-prerel) yields:
ipf: IP Filter: v3.4.16 (264)
Kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.20
Running: yes
Log Flags: 0 = none set
Default: block all, Logging: available
Active list: 0

this does indeed seem a bit out of date, but why?

i am still kinda clueless...

regards
--
        Andreas Ntaflos, ANT
        ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 11:25:28AM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> What are the steps you are following to update your system ?
>
> cvsup
> mergemaster or merge/update /etc from /usr/src/etc
> make world
> config -r yourkernel
> make depend;make;make install
> reboot
>
> If you do
> ls -l `which ipf`
> is the file date reasonable ?
>

> At 05:24 PM 8/9/01 +0200, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> >i know there was a topic about ipf in 4.4-prerel about ipf in
> >the kernel being version 3.4.20 and the userland version being
> >3.4.16. and how loading rules will result in some fancy error
> >messages like:
> >1:ioctl(add/insert rule): No such process
> >2:ioctl(add/insert rule): No such process
> >
> >but no matter what i do, cvsupping src-all a hundred times,
> >cvsupping with an empty /usr/src/contrib/ipfilter and
> >buildworlding...ipf wont want to get the rules loaded.
> >
> >now maybe(certainly) there is a solution for this, but browseing
> >the archives did not reveal one for me...
> >
> >so can anyone tell me how i can use ipf properly with 4.4-prerel?
> >
> >or at least what the hell is the problem with 4.4 and ipf, and WHY
> >this is a problem? i really dont get that.
> >
> >regards
> >--
> >         Andreas Ntaflos, ANT
> >         ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net