Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:00:32 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recomended tapes form HP?

On 14 Jul 99, at 1:16, Iani Brankov wrote:

> I have to buy a tape drive for a FreeBSD box.
> I'm using an old HP DAT drive and it works great.

And is it a travan or a DAT?

<snip>

> What about the these models:

> HP Colorado Travan drives (IDE)
> HP SureStore Travan drives (SCSI)

> I read in the handbook that QIC drives are more reliable than DAT ones.
> According to HP these models are QIC compatible.

Ahhh... which handbook?  We just had a long discussion here and a
number of people (not just me) said... loudly... that Travan and QIC
are evil.  I would suggest skipping both of 'em.

Look at DAT drives instead.  Seagate's Scorpion 12/24 gig drive is
awesome.

Also, look at
http://www.corpsys.com/store/products.asp?dept=Tape%20Drives
Corporate Systems Center has a number of attractive tape drives at
reasonable prices.  I've been happy with the company in the past.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
    Apathy Error: Don't Bother Striking Any Key.