Date:      Tue, 8 May 2007 13:00:47 -0700
From:      "Kevin Downey" <redchin@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Open Source Streaming Tools

On 5/8/07, Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu> wrote:
> Is there any open source software to create playlists, hinted movies,
> encoding, etc for use with Darwin Streaming Server running on FreeBSD.
> I have the Streaming Server working but would like the tools to be open
> source as well such as quicktime pro, broadcaster, qtss publisher.
>
> Thanks

My DSS work flow looks like:
1) mencoder 2 passes, h264 video aac audio, output is an avi file, the
mencoder manual has a section on creating quicktime compatible files:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-quicktime-7.html

2) use mplayer's dumpaudio and dumpvideo options to split the h264 and
aac into seperate files

3) mp4creator to remux the h264 and aac into a hinted mp4 file

--
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has
occurred." G. B. Shaw