Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:02:03 -0700
From:      dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does adduser(8) rearrange my /etc/group?

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 02:46:55AM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> I like to keep my /etc/group file broken into sections: the default
> GIDs, user GIDs, and GIDs for things like segregating access to parts of
> filesystems and for run-as daemon's I've installed.  Whenever I add a
> user with adduser(8), and add a group in the process, the script
> rearranges my /etc/group file, sorting by GID.  Why does it do this, and
> is it really necessary?

That's how it works.  It is not really necessary.  Adduser is going to
be replaced by something that doesn't use Perl, and instead uses pw(8),
which, as far as I know, doesn't go re-arranging /etc files
unnecessarily.

If you don't mind configuring your pw.conf beforehand, you can make use
instead of /usr/ports/sysutils/enteruser.

-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/