Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2015 22:59:23 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        William <william@firstyear.id.au>
Cc:        "gnome@freebsd.org" <gnome@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnome2 -> Gnome3 - no way

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:34 AM, William <william@firstyear.id.au> wrote:

> > o) AFAIK gnome3 is a supported desktop environment under FreeBSD (?).
> > Are there, besides KDE which I don't like for personal reasons, any
> > reasonable alternatives providing similar features like Gnome?
> >

> Try the port for MATE: its a fork of gnome 2. A few little bits need some
> tweaking but it works very well and is very stable.
>
> Sincerely
>
> William

I'll second this. It is worth noting that Gnome3  was a massive change to
Gnome2. It has been slightly less controversial than systemd, but only
slightly. I ran into in on a Linux VM and, after playing with it for a
pretty short time, ran as fast as I could.

It was a pretty simple transition. Some of your old friends have been
forked and renamed. Atril was evince, caja was nautilus, mate-terminal was
gnome-terminal, engrampa was file-roller, pluma was gedit, etc. The mate
home page lists most or all of these.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com