Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:52:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      "stark" <stark@jeamland.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Licensing Question

OK, I've looked through /usr/src/sys and I've tried to get my
head around this, but I'm still confused :

What, exactly, are the licensing restrictions WRT the 'normal'
(i.e. non-ports, non-packages) distribution of FreeBSD?

If I'm reading the 'README' and 'COPYRIGHT' files correctly
in /usr/src, then the BSD license (without the advertising clause)
applies to all of the directories EXCEPT the /usr/src/gnu directory,
which contains other packages, mostly GPL or LGPL licensed.

Is this correct?  Am I missing something glaringly obvious?
The webpage that refernces this info on freebsd.org only lists
the applicable licenses, but not what license is applicable to
which files.....

Thanks

Dana Lacoste
Ottawa, Canada