Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 01:23:17 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Screen garbage and blacked out pixmaps when starting X.

When I start X after rebooting into FreeBSD from Windows, a mangled
version of the Windows 98 startup logo will appear along the top edge of
the screen and various parts of my desktop such as the KDE logo, menu
backgrounds, shell window contents, and Windowmaker menu will appear as
black shapes.  Exiting X normally and restarting X seems to fix the
problem, and the problem doesn't occur at all if I power cycle the
computer rather than reboot.  I'm guessing Windows isn't picking up its
trash when it shuts down.  Rather than deal with Windows, I'd rather
find some means of forcing a reset of whatever it is that Windows messes
up.  Anyone know how?

Some information:

FreeBSD 5.0p1 with the mga module loaded.
XFree86 4.2.1_1,1 compiled with -DWITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER from ports
KDE 3.1 from ports
WindowMaker from ports
Matrox G200 AGP (mga server).