Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:41:38 +0100
From:      "Jeff Rollin" <jeff.rollin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Ports collection / FreeBSD CDs

On 12/09/06, Arindam <arindam.mukerjee@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a Linux user and have been recently trying to shift to FreeBSD. I
> got hold of a couple of FreeBSD CD ISOs (version 6.1) - their names
> being 6.1-RELEASE-i386-discX.iso, X being 1 and 2.
>
> I did my installation with the Disc1 alone. I did not need Disc2. What
> is the purpose of Disc2 and what can I do with it.
>
> I chose not to install the ports collection because as of now, I do
> not have access to Internet in my home-network and it would take a
> little while before I can set it up for browsing. Does Disc2 contain
> some of the ports collection?
>
> Finally, what is the ports collection?

To take your last question first: The ports collection allows you to install
software from source that does not come as part of the base distribution -
that equates, more or less, to stuff that on FreeBSD installs itself to
directories in / and /usr. The base distribution includes stuff like the X
Window System, but not KDE, Firefox or MH, the mail handler. These latter
three are available as ports, which when compiled go into /usr/local by
default on FreeBSD.

The FreeBSD installation program asks if you want "to install the ports
collection," but what it actually does is install a bunch of directories
(under /usr/ports) that you can use to browse what's available in the ports
collection. For example, to download a port, say, Firefox compiled for use
with the Linux compatibility layer, go into /usr/ports/linux/linux-firefox
and type:

$ make install clean

(note you need to have Linux compatibility already installed and turned on
to make this work).

($ stands for the prompt, as you probably know); make reads the Makefile,
and according to instructions in it, downloads the sources and compiles
them; make install and make clean (given here in shorthand) respectively
install the compiled port and clean up after make.

The alternative way to install software is from packages, which are
pre-compiled ports. You can use sysinstall to install them, or pkg_add from
the commandline. Disc2 mostly contains some of these packages (others are on
Disc1).

Cheers

You're welcome!

Jeff.