Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 19:18:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: remote make install

On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I checked on the local machine, there wasn't a
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/share/examples directory, so I went back to
> > /usr/src/share/examples and did a make obj, which didn't create one.  Am
> > I leaving something out?
>
> Are you sure your make is properly bootstrapped?  I just tried this
> with NFS as well and it worked a treat.  I really don't understand the
> problems you're having. :-(

Well, Jordan, I'm not doing this to cause trouble.  I have followed your
instructions completely, and as far as bootstrapping, well, on the remote
machine I preinstalled make, /usr/share/mk, and install.  I wonder if the
error return from install is informative.  Here's the error message again:

install -C -o bin -g bin -m 644 worm/makecdfs.sh /usr/share/examples/worm/makecdfs.sh
*** Error code 71

Here's a portion of /usr/include/errno.h:

/* Network File System */
#define ESTALE          70              /* Stale NFS file handle */
#define EREMOTE         71              /* Too many levels of remote in path */
#define EBADRPC         72              /* RPC struct is bad */

Do I need to make some changes to nfs to get this to work?  I'll try
redoing it, but instead of mounting /usr/obj on the remote machine, I'll
mount /usr/obj/usr/src (building a /usr/obj/usr/src on the remote machine
to allow for it).

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |