Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:51:56 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Need for explicit ipfw pass rule for 127.0.0.0/8 not documented?

I upgraded from 4.5-20020204-STABLE to 4.5-20020305-STABLE (via CDROM
snapshot) and found (first) that portmapper and named were not
accesible. My resolv.conf points to 127.0.01 first, but I couldn't
even use an outside nameserver. Any kind of network access involving
IP got EACCES errors on the sendto(2) or connect(2) calls, according
to strace.

Since EACCES on INET domain sockets can't happen (according to
connect(2), you only can get EACCES on Unix domain sockets), I figured
that my firewall, which also runs natd for a machine on the internal
network, must be the culprit, even though it logged no errors or dropped
packets.

Sure enough, when I added a rule right before the "deny everything" at
the end:
	allow ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to 127.0.0.0/8 via lo0
all the broken network services were back to normal.

I've been looking to find where this major operational change was
documented. It's not in RELNOTES.TXT on the snapshot CDROM. It's not in
/usr/src/UPDATING.

Its net effect was to disable a number of network services, and to do
so silently. There were no syslog entries to indicate that anything
was amiss (and I seem to recall that syslog *was* working), or give
any clue to diagnosing the problem.

Did I miss the documentation? Or did the documentation get missed?

--
Alan Eldridge
"Dave's not here, man."