Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 18:57:01 -0500
From:      Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backing up my CDs [was Re: My horror story]

At 05:08 PM 5/10/2002, f.johan.beisser wrote:
>On Fri, 10 May 2002, Chip Morton wrote:
> > For an extra hundred dollars, you can even get some external/USB
> > 2.0/IEEE-1394 hard drives with decent capacities.
>
>under USB 2.0 that'd work, but you still have the problems of moving it
>between machines and architectures, i think.

I've seen quite a few devices that boast USB 1.1 and 2.0 compatibility, so
it may be possible to find a 60+ GB external drive that can support both
standards.  I don't know USB 1.1 from 2.0, so I never knew if this
dual-mode operation was a feature of the device in question or just part of
the backwards compatibility inherent in USB 2.0.