Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:28:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <nrichard47@telus.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installing FreeBSD along with Windows XP

C J Michaels puts on his dunce hat 'cause he said:
> Norm said:
>> Dear Sir:
>>
>> I have a new P4 1.8GHz with 512 MB RDRAM and 60GB HDD which I have
>> split int two drives (C,D).  I plan on using Drive C for Windows XP
>> and Drive D for FreeBSD.
>>
>> 1) Can you tell me whether it is better to use NTFS file formatting or
>> FAT32 for either or both drives? Pros and cons of using either file
>> systems?
>
> FreeBSD has it's own format called ufs.  This would be used on the D:
> drive.  FreeBSD has support for reading FAT32 and NTFS (though the
> FAT32 support is more mature).  Alas, WinXP cannot read ufs.

OOPS.  Man I need to learn how to read, sorry.  As someone else already
said, you would need to remove the D: partition as FreeBSD can't make use
of an MS-DOS partition.

On that note, the FreeBSD installer will create it's own slice, partition
it, and format it appropriately.

--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire