Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 17:25:40 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade <paulo@fiscodata.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft-updates problem

In the last episode (May 13), Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade said:
>   I hope this is the correct place to post this.
>
>   Enabled soft-updates in a system here, for testing purposes, but
> then, after a day or two, our cobol programs refused to work, the
> error messages said that programs could not open more files, after a
> reboot, things became normal again.
>   Tried with IBCS2 as a kld and as a kernel option. The problem is
> always reproducible. Without softupdates, there are no problems.

Weird.

The softupdates feature is handled at the block level of the
filesystem; it doesn't have a concept of "open files".  This doesn't
mean softupdates isn't the problem; it just means that it's not
_directly_ causing your problem.

Is the error message "/kernel file: table is full"?  I'm guessing that
with softupdates on, your COBOL program isn't exiting completely, and
is hanging before it closes its files.  Try running "fstat" and see if
you have a lot of open files opened by "cobrun" or "rts32".  If you do,
run "ps axl" and take a look at the WCHAN column for those processes
and let us know what it is.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com