Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 18:59:21 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
To:        ache@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        gsutter@zer0.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/22444: screen segfault

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 02:08:37PM -0800, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> On 2000-10-31 12:21 -0600, smkelly@zombie.org wrote:
> >
> > >Number:         22444
> > >Category:       ports
> > >Synopsis:       The 'screen' port has reproducable segfaults
> >
> > screen-3.9.8_3
> >
> > FreeBSD edgemaster.zombie.org 4.1.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE #0: Tue Oct 24 0
> > 0:37:00 CDT 2000     smkelly@edgemaster.zombie.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/EDGEMAST
> > ER  i386

> > Under reproducable (though not well understood) and some unknonw conditions
> > screen will crash with signal 11.
> >
> > >How-To-Repeat:
> >
> > If I start the mutt MUA from within screen, screen will always segfault when
> > I open my mail folders.  I assume it has something to do with the appearance
> > of my screen at the time, but I am not sure.  I have also seen screen crash
> > due to the EPIC IRC client.  The actual condition it crashes under is unknown
> > to me.
>
> I have reason to believe that this is a problem with screen and the
> new ncurses that was imported to -STABLE.  However, since none of my
> computers have a -STABLE from after the ncurses import, I cannot test
> my assertion.

I would consider 'screen' to be one of the most basic applications of my
working environment.  Having it be broken is very difficult to work around.
Is there any plan to fix the port or ncruses, or am I going to be forced
to build a static screen on an older FreeBSD system?

--
Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org> or <smkelly@slashnet.org>
   PGP KeyID: 4AC781C7        http://www.sean-kelly.org