Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:29:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: support for a.out in ports

>> > a.out support is dead, and soon will be retired from bsd.port.mk as
>> > well.
>>
>> If  this the  "official" position,  could you  provide the  reference
>> or  something so  I  can  remove the  minor  numbers  from my  ports'
>> pkg-plists?
>
> No,  it   is  not  official   position  (I'm  speaking  with   my  Joe
> Ordinary-Porter hat on), but it  reflects discussions I had with other
> committers regarding the topic. I donno if it counts, though.

Ok, thank you. The official policy/strategy  is what I was trying to dig
up... That's one more inconsistency we have in the ports tree right now.

My personal feeling would be quite the opposite -- I think it is cool to
support this, especially since the framework  is already in place and is
really cheap.  If some developer happens  to put the wrong  minor number
(because he/she only  works with elf) --  it is an easily  fixed PR... I
wish there was some way to count  the actual number of users who use one
way or another...

	-mi