Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:20:53 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        mheyes@lincolnfp.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cycling X

On Monday 07 January 2002 14:36, mheyes@lincolnfp.com wrote:

Hi,

> Is there a way to get to a shell so I can rerun xf86config, or edit the
> XF86Config file? Sorry for the cross-post; I wasn't exactly sure which list
> to send this to. Please cc: me as I am at work and can't subscribe to the
> lists. Thanks for your help!

I'll assume you can reboot the box and have root access. Boot in single user
mode (boot -s) , mount / writable (mount / -uw), edit the /etc/ttys file and
disable xdm (set the entry to off), then ctrl-D to boot up, and now you can
work without XDM firing up, then fix the thing and restore the entry in
/etc/ttys.

        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
        EnergyHQ :: http://energyhq.homeip.net
        FreeBSD - The power to serve!