Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:21:44 -0500
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <michael_smith@bigfoot.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache - PHP - mySQL

> From what I've read to date, it appears that the function of PHP is to
> simplify the interfacing between the database to the webserver ..... is
this
> essentially correct or is there something else involved here ??

PHP is a VERY full-featured web application environment. It does many many
things, including what you've specified. It will enable you to publish
databased content on the web.

> Secondly, it appears that the order of installation / compilation is
> critical .... ie mySQL has to be installed first, then Apache / PHP ....
> otherwise nothing works properly ..... is this an accurate assessment ??

You've got it. Install MySQL first (from source, binary or port). Follow the
execllent INSTALL.DSO instructions that come with PHP. (Basically, you
install Apache, then compile and install PHP, then finish up configuring
Apache and you're good to go!)

Good Luck! Apache/PHP/MySQL are a blast!
--
Michael A. Smith -- Programmer at Large
Phone:703-625-5732