Date:      27 Jun 2002 21:29:38 +0200
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>, tomi.hasa@tut.fi, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Readme for Windows Users

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 20:27, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:07:10AM -0700, Ross Lippert wrote:
> >
> > >book.html.tar.gz   Handbook in html format and gzip compression
> > >book.pdf.gz        Handbook in pdf format and gzip compression
> > >book.ps.gz         Handbook in postscript format and gzip compression
> > >[...]
> > >
> > >Or how do you see it?
> >
> > Why not?  Although the naming convention chosen may be obvious to
> > you and I, perhaps it is not so plain to someone else.  Is it wrong
> > to err on the side of moronity?
>
> I covered those bases months ago.
>
>   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/README
>
> Or perhaps even:
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/support.html#DOC-FORMATS
>
> Sadly, people still refuse to read them.  And there's not a lot I can do
> about that.

But if you get there a level higher through a link, you don't see them.
That's probably how most people get there... they probably don't know the
tree as well as some of us who can see it scrolling through their dreams
(nightmares?).

Well, that's exactly what I meant by readme-file. Tomi, do you remember
where the reference (or link) was that you followed to get there? Maybe we
can add a fast link to this readme there too.