Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:54:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Handling of disk errors

I've just attempted to put FreeBSD on a system whose hard disk has a few
weak spots. The system is reporting soft ECC errors on reads now and
then. How do I map these areas out? Also, when I attempted to recompile
the kernel, cc balked in the middle, saying

cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

Sendmail also died with a sig 13. Could this be a result of the soft
disk errors, or is it due to something else?

--Brett