Date:      Wed, 06 Aug 1997 23:26:27 -0500
From:      Donal <donal@brewich.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        gclarkii@main.gbdata.com
Subject:   vm_fault problem

I am having a problem, and I hope you can help or direct me to someone who
can.
I recently upgraded my comm server to 2.2.2 and upgraded some of the
hardware. The system is now:
	Gigabyte HX motherboard (new)
		Award BIOS
		on board IDE
		2 com ports
	2x16MB 60ns EDO RAM (new)
	1.2GB Maxtor IDE (new)
	NE2000 card
	Trident ISA video card
	Usenet II 4 port Serial card

Since the upgrade the machine has been rebooting at random intervals
(anything from 5 minutes to 2 days) and I can find no log trace or core files.
Then yesterday I caught it doing it and managed to write it down! I THINK
this is exactly what it said...

vm_fault: fault on nofault entry: address f296c000

then it had something about syncing the disks (it failed) and that I could
press a key to stop the reboot. I did press a key but it rebooted anyway.

PLEASE help!!! Is it a bad SIMM??? MB Cache? Should I disable the cache?

This machine is my gateway. My ISDN is connected to it, as are all 5 of my
dialup lines. This reboot thing is crippling my business! Thank you in
advance for your help.

Donal <donal@brewich.com> SysAdmin of The Brewers' Witch BBS +1 713 272 7350
The Largest Pagan-oriented BBS on the Internet!       http://www.brewich.com
Modkin of soc.religion.paganism               http://www.brewich.com/org/srp