Date:      Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:29:12 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem in upgrading to latest pkgs

--==_Exmh_-1017149472P

If memory serves me right, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > I distinctly remember adding it to the manpage.  This was a nice idea
> > before portupgrade came along, but too many people managed to shoot
> > themselves in the foot with it.
>
> A solution that is possible is to reword the ports webpage to
> point out the central role portupgrade plays.  I will attempt to
> create a PR for this.

Maybe.  It's not clear to me where people go to find out these
things...the Handbook and FAQ are probably equally good places.  (They
are not mutually exclusive, of course!)

> On a very similar note, is portcheckout a less-worthy contender
> to portupgrade, and if so, should it be deprecated?

Based on a very quick reading of portcheckout's pkg-descr file, I'd say
that they perform two different functions.  portcheckout lets you get
port directories if you don't have a complete ports tree on your
system.  portupgrade upgrades existing ports, but assumes that all the
necessary parts of a ports tree already exist on your local machine.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1017149472P

--==_Exmh_-1017149472P--