Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 08:43:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Has anyone ported hytelnet?

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Guy Helmer writes:
> > I've been fooling around with getting hytelnet going on a friend's FreeBSD
> > 2.1.5 box for an upcoming Internet class he's running, and I'm having
> > problems getting hytelnet working properly -- it's having problems
> > displaying information as an apparent result of doing some things with
> > curses that it shouldn't.

"Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>" sent me a copy of hytelnet with a few minimal
but key changes from the original, and it runs fine with -lcurses.  If
anyone needs diffs, I could probably provide them.

> >  I've finally got it mostly working with
> > ncurses, but where an inverse text area marks the potential selection, the
> > inverse area appears with an annoying added <2> appended to the head and
> > tail of the inverse text.  The termcap definition shouldn't be a problem
> > -- I was telnet'ed in from an xterm session, and every other full screen
> > app works fine...
>
> Even so, it looks *very* much like a termcap problem.
> [...]
> Could it be that your hytelnet is reading the termcap definitions from
> a different place?  termcap used to be in /etc/termcap, and later it
> got moved to /usr/share/misc/termcap.

The system was upgraded a while back from a 1.x to a 2.1.x system, so
perhaps it does have a wrong /etc/termcap or /usr/share/misc/termcap...

>  On my system, they're identical, but your mileage may vary.  You may
> like to run ktrace against it (you'll need to have it enabled in the
> kernel by including 'options KTRACE'):
>
>   ktrace -i -tn hytelnet
>   kdump | more

Great idea -- I'll keep it in mind.