Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:11:55 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Kevin Street <street@iname.com>, Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>, Alex Derevyanko <der@pc759.cs.msu.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND (8.1.2) reverse mapping for RFC 1918 addresses? - Please Help

Regarding my questions about named setup...

NEVERMIND!

Something that Kevin Street <street@iname.com> said made it all click,
and I finally realized my incredibly stupid error.  (I _was_ correct
that something very fundamental was screwed up.)

Here's the deal...

I am/was accustomed to running named (8.2.x) AS DISTRIBUTED BY ISC.ORG.

When using a straight-out-of-the-box named from ISC, the configuration
file is in /etc/named.conf, and I had no idea that named could ever, or
would ever be built in such a way as to make the default path for the
configuration file be someplace else.

Boy was I wrong!

The named (8.1.2) binary that is being distributed with FreeBSD 3.3 has
apparently been built so as to assume the default path to the configuration
file is /etc/namedb/named.conf.

I didn't know that.

So of course, I was fiddling /etc/named.conf and making all of these local
changes and setting up all sorts of elaborate stuff, and what do you know!
None of it was ever even taking effect!

Now that I know what the problem was (and now that I have made the file
named /etc/namedb/named.conf just be a symlink to /etc/named.conf) things
are working 100% better.

My thanks to everyone who sent me responses.

P.S.  More questions:  (1) Why was FreeBSD 3.3 distributed with what would
seem to be such an out-of-date named?  (2)  Why was the named binary that is
being distributed with FreeBSD 3.3 built to use a different default path
for the configuration file from the one that (it seems) ISC recommends?
Does this fall into the category of `annoyingly pointless incompatibilities'?