Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:39:45 +0200
From:      Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
To:        karelrous@gyrec.cz
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>, Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need motherboard for home fileserver

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 12:23 +0200, Karel Rous wrote:
> Mark Powell wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> >
> > Intel CPU Pentium DualCore E2140
> >
> > They are similar price to the cheapest AMD and are really just a
> > Core2Duo with just 1MB cache and offical 800MHz FSB. However, they are
> > the same silicon as C2D. As such these run easily at ~3GHz with
> > 350-400MHz FSB all with no voltage increases, if you're into such things.
> >   It's a shame AMD have fallen behind Intel. Corporate crime does pay
> > it seems :(
>     Personally I don't see any evidence about this statement in low
> price solution. I use AMD for a long time and it has never as
> overclockable as Intel. The first one I have found is A64 3000 which I
> bought two weeks ago...
> >

> >> Though Core 2 Duo CPUs are more expensive,
> >
> > See above. Possibly not as low power as an AMD solution, but a lot
> > more for your money, me thinks.
>     I think overclocking shoudn't be understood as a feature you pay
> for. It's mainly a matter of luck. Reliability (probability of crash)
> and lifetime of such machines could be worse.
>
> Karel

When someone asks me for differences between Core 2 and AMD/64/FX/etc, I
wont bother to argue anymore, I simply link this:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118296441702631

..and let them decide on their own. (well, maybe I sometimes add that
buying C2D today is a suicide, but *that* is a highly personal opinion).

m.