Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:22:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "John E. Hein" <jhein@timing.com>
To:        "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl@omnitec.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shell Keyboard Mapping for PC Keyboard?

Leland V. Lammert wrote at 18:34 +0100 on Oct 18:
 > At 12:12 AM 10/19/99 , you wrote:
 > >Leland V. Lammert wrote at 22:45 -0500 on Oct 18:
 > >  > We are looking at standardizing on FreeBSD for our ISP servers, .. but in
 > >  > testing ran across some weird problems.
 > >  >
 > >  > FreeBSD seems to not support any of the PC keyboard mapping that CSH does
 > >  > on Linux - Home/End/UP-DN Arrow (history buffer), Delete (current char),
 > >  > Backspace (char left), Insert, .. <Esc> to <ctl>C.
 > >
 > >Linux uses tcsh as its C shell:
 > >
 > >linux% ls -alF /bin/*csh
 > >lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Mar  6  1999 /bin/csh -> tcsh*
 > >-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       262184 Mar 21  1999 /bin/tcsh*
 > >
 > >So you've been using tcsh instead of the standard ol' C shell all these
 > >  years.  You just didn't know it.
 >
 > Hi John!
 >
 > Thanks for the response, .. but even when I *invoke* csh on Linux I still
 > get the up/dn arrows,

Of course, that's because when you "invoke" csh, you're invoking tcsh
 because of the sym link.  It's the same thing, and tcsh doesn't care if
 you invoke it as tcsh or as csh.  There is no separate csh under
 linux (at least not RH).  FreeBSD, however, has a more standard csh (as
 well as the option of tcsh from the ports).
Same deal, incidentally, with sh/bash - RH Linux uses a sym link from
 sh -> bash; it has no basic Bourne shell.  bash, however, DOES care if
 you invoke it as sh or bash.  It does some different things based on
 whether arg 0 is sh or bash (see man page).

 > and even tcsh doesn't give extended functions like
 > home/end - any ideas there?

I don't think tcsh attaches any functionality to home/end out of
 the box (in linux or otherwise - perhaps your linux distribution
 does something to tailor the tcsh key mappings that mine doesn't),
 but you can map those keys to whatever functions you want (man
 tcsh for more - see 'bindkey') yourself.

p.s. Please CC the list rather than only emailing me directly.