Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 10:49:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        karl@mcs.com (Karl Denninger MCSNet)
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thumbs up? Or down?? (disk recommend)

> We have a zero failure rate on the Seagate Hawks; not quite as fast
> (5400rpm) but very stable and great seek times (sub 10ms).
>
> The 4.2G drives are relatively inexpensive to boot.  We like 'em here.

I would generally agree that these are reliable workhorse drives, and the
prices currently appear to be substantially cheaper than the Barracudas.
NOTE:  Check the mailing list archives for mention of these drives.  They
are red flagged in my memory for some controller compatibility issue, I
believe, so you will want to watch out for some particular combination of
controller and drive..  However, the units that I've seen and/or used have
been solid disks.

It's just that most of the things I do are news related and so I'm a
performance freak...  :-)  I'd rather have an 8ms drive than a 9ms drive.

... Joe