Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:23:52 +0930
From:      Steven Wiltshire <steven@mig15.net>
To:        Rob Lahaye <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to restart my network without reboot?

Hi Rob,

I suggest using ifconfig to modify the netmask. Try this:
"ifconfig device inet ip.address.here netmask netmask.goes.here
broadcast your.broadcast.address.here"

For example, "ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 10.0.0.255" - this should tide you over until the machine is
next rebooted. Just in case it doesn't work, though, make sure you have
non-ethernet access to the machine (as I've found out the hard way
previously :)

--Steven