Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 21:23:25 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
Subject:   Re: Weird make world error

Simon Shapiro wrote:

> Mike Smith, On 04-Nov-98 you wrote:
> > > When doing a make world, it dies with....
> > >

> > > ===> sys/modules
> > > ===> sys/modules/atapi
> > > @ -> /data/src/sys
> > > machine -> /data/src/sys/i386/include
> > > echo "#define NWDC 2" > wdc.h
> > > echo "#define ATAPI 1"> opt_atapi.h
> > > cc -O -m486 -pipe -DATAPI_MODULE  -DKERNEL -Wreturn-type -Wcomment
> > > -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
> > > -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wuninitialized -Wformat
> > > -fformat-extensions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-
> > > -I/usr/obj/elf/data/src/sys/modules/atapi
> > > -I/usr/obj/elf/data/src/sys/modules/a
> > > tapi/@ -I/usr/obj/elf/data/src/tmp/usr/include -c
> > > /data/src/sys/modules/atapi/.
> > > ./../i386/isa/atapi.c
> > > gensetdefs atapi.o
> > > gensetdefs: not found
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop.
> > >
> > > Where's this mysterious gensetdefs supposed to be found?
> >
> >  In /usr/bin.  It probably should have been made a bootstrap tool,
> >  except that there's hope that the new linker-set technique that John
> >  Polstra has developed will make it obsolete.
> >
> >  You should learn about 'whereis'.
>
> Not so simple.  Whereis finds it.  cd /usr/src/sys/modules;make finds it
> and build fine.  Make buildworld produces this error.  It is relatively new
> (the build of the 1st did not have this problem.

The buildworld environment builds (completely) it's own toolchain and
restricts the $PATH to the tools that it has built.  When I turned on the
src/sys/modules SUBDIR, it (for the first time) needed the gensetdefs
command, which was missing from the list of tools needed.  "oops".  Sorry
folks.

Cheers,
-Peter