Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:51:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RC2 is now available

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Brian McGovern wrote:

> I have not worked with RC2 yet. However, as of a snapshot a couple of days
> ago, there was still a large amount of 'non-intuitive behavior' in sysinstall,
> and by 'non-intuitive', I mean its behavior works directly against the
> on-screen documentation in places, and where its not documented, just acts
> bad.

[ I cut freebsd-qa from the cc: list... ]

Another sysinstall bug I just noticed.

Boot cdrom.
Skip kernel config
Say no to using pc-card device as install media.
Select Upgrade.
Get message saying "The UPGRADE file is not provided on this particular
floppy image."
Select Ok. (the only option)
Get message saying "Given all that scary stuff you just read, are you sure
you want to risk it all and proceed with this upgrade?"

Selecting yes allows one to proceed along and do an actual binary upgrade,
which worked great in my case, with two exceptions:

My edits to /etc/dhclient.conf & /etc/hosts.allow got lost...

(I've never tried a binary upgrade before, maybe this is normal, but my
rc.conf and /etc/motd had edits preserved.)

 - Tim