Date:      Wed, 21 May 2008 10:13:09 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Instant reboot with FreeBSD 6.3 and > 2GB RAM

On May 21, 2008, at 4:01 AM, votdev@gmx.de wrote:

> some users of FreeNAS which is based on FreeBSD 6.3 reported instant
> reboots on systems with > 2GB RAM (most of them use 4GB). The reboot
> occurs right after displaying the FreeBSD loader menu. Most of them
> told me that they can boot if they reduce RAM to <= 2GB.

For what it's worth, I have run several systems with 4GB RAM on
FreeBSD/i386 6.3.  The only i386 I have left with this much RAM was
recently upgraded to 7.0; the rest of my large RAM systems run FreeBSD/
amd64.

I didn't see anything obviously bad in your kernel config.

By the way, thanks for making FreeNAS... I use it on my home NFS/AFP
server to great success... the only thing I wish it included was the
amrstat binary to test my LSI RAID controller status (I just copy it
from another 6.3 system I have and it works).