Date:      Sat, 20 May 2006 23:20:58 -0700
From:      James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading and Disk Space.

> Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 08:34:18 -0400
> From: "Grant Peel" <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
> Subject: Upgrading and Disk Space.
> To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to upgrade a 6.0 machine to 6.1R.
>
> I am running a little tight on space on the3 /usr part. I was wondering what
> can be safely removed from /usr befor starting the upgrade.
>
> The idea is to try NOT to fill up the filesystem and crap out duing the
> upgrade.
>
> Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
> -Grant

You don't say specifically, but I presume you're planning a source
upgrade (make buildworld, et al).

You have oodles of space on /var, I'd suggest trying:

cd /usr
mv src /var && ln -s /var/src src
mv obj /var && ln -s /var/obj obj

That should give you plenty of room to cvsup and compile the upgrade.