Date:      Tue, 01 Apr 1997 10:11:17 -0800
From:      Venkat Panchapakesan <venkatp@hpwsghs.cup.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Microsoft mouse

I have a x486 system with a Microsoft mouse. I have installed
FreeBSD2.0.5 and everything
seems fine, except the mouse. I cannot get the Xserver to open the mouse
device.

I have reconfigured my kernel to include the "psm0" and "mse0" devices
(took the lines
from the LINT file). When the kernel boots up, I see the message that
the kernel was able
to recognize the device "psm0" (I infact put a printf in psmprobe() in
psm.c to verify that the probe succeeded).

However, if I tried cat'ing from /dev/psm0 or use that name in
/etc/XF86Config and start
the Xserver, it complains that the device /dev/psm0 is not configured. I
made the
device psm0 using the command "cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV psm0" and the major
number is 21.

I am lost here. I could add more printf's to psm.c to see why the open
fails, but figured
someone would already know the reason.

Thanks,
Venkat