Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 95 14:46:38 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au (michael butler)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
Subject:   Re: Install issues (was: State of the union speech

> > This approach has the advantage of working for the existing partition
> > and slice handling, the vnconfig device, AND the exportation of a
> > contiguous chunk of disk as a device AND extended partitions, all
> > without ruining the distintions in the kernel that cause some of the
> > current install problems (ie: WD1007).
>
> Is there any mechanism by which it is possible to get FreeBSD (-current or
> otherwise) onto a WD1007 controlled drive ?

Yes.  It involves jumpers W8 and W14 away from the factory defaults,
downloading a format utility from ftp.wdc.com, and low level formatting
the drive (reinstalling everything later).

Mikem@cs.weber.edu was going to use the departmental scanner to scan in
the WD1007 we got working back at the start of July.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.