Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:43:55 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        daddy@thunderbolt.ee.itb.ac.id (Daddy Amin)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel trouble

On 5 Sep 1999 23:02:39 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Hi, I compile FreeBSD kernel to a new one. I found in the root directory
>"kernel.GENERIC" (is it the old one ?) and "kernel" (is it the new one ?).
>When I run (in the shell prompt) "kernel" or "kernel.GENERIC" there was a
>message: wrong architecture, what does it mean ?

Have a look at the handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html,
specifically, http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

kernel.GENERIC is the generic kernel that gets installed at installation
time and is there in case you mess up your custom kernel, so you can boot
with the generic one.  kernel.old is your old kernel from the previous
compile.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)