Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:26:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a little help with Compaq Fortran

Douglas K. Rand writes:

 > All of our Intel systems run FreeBSD, but our Alphas run Digital Unix,
 > er, OSF/1, er, True64 UNIX.  :) We need a good FORTRAN90 compiler to
 > run weather models (mm5 and arps) on the Alphas. Right now the only
 > choices are True64 or Linux.   Sigh.

Andrew> Do what we do: Have one designated compile machine running
Andrew> Tru64.  Use that compile machine to build binaries for a
Andrew> cluster of Alphas running FreeBSD.

I hadn't thought about doing it that way. One possible problem we
might have with this is the MM5 model which unfortunately wants to
recompile itself way too often, but perhaps we can do that via a ssh
to the compile machine.

Thanks for the idea.