Date:      30 Nov 1999 20:20:56 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup remote host using SSH

daniel B <danielb@pacex.net> wrote:

> I am trying to backup a remote host 'frank' to a tape drive in a local
> host 'homer' using SSh.
> What syntax can I use for ssh to work with tar?
>
> On local host 'homer'
> tar cvf /dev/nrst0 slogin frank://home/users    does not work

No, I guess it doesn't. I wonder how you came up with that command
line. This might be what you want to do:

# ssh frank 'tar cf - / | ssh homer dd bs=20b of=/dev/nrsa0'

(Of course you don't want to get into the habit of creating tar
archives with absolute paths. And in practice you'd install something
like buffer to replace the dd above with a buffering program. And
I recommend dump over tar for backups. Etc.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de