Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2006 16:34:06 -0500
From:      Chad Whitacre <chad@zetaweb.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   possible umount bugs (was Re: "Panic: unmount: dangling vnode")

Kris,

 > A number of problems with umount are due to be fixed in 6.1 ...

Wow, ok. Thanks for the heads-up. That's honestly a little disappointing
to hear. I had hoped it was a problem with my backup script.

I posted a fuller description of this and another problem last week.
Here's the archive link:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-March/114825.html

The two notes I would add to that post are:

   1. The "dangling vnode" symptom did happen one other time when the box
      first came online several months ago. The other sysadmin rebooted
      and no further action was taken.

   2. We do not have a core dump from the latest "dangling vnode" bout,
      due to the system apparently hanging.

Is it likely that known umount problems explain the other symptom
("umount: unmount of /backup failed: Device busy")?

This is actually a production box, so I can't do too much testing on it.
I may be able to install the patch, though, in which case I will report
back.

Thanks again for your help!

chad