Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:41:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel config utility

<<On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:49:27 -0500, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net> said:

> thing that was divided into two panes.  On the left would be
> LINT.  Here, we would have icons representing the various
> devices.

This is actually a really cool idea, although it needs a bit of
refinement, and we would need to start providing and maintaining a
database which describes the drivers in more detail.  You don't want
to start with LINT, though; you want to start with GENERIC plus a few
of the more common options.  (Then provide a menu selection of the
form ``Show all available devices and options''.)

Icons are probably not the right user interface.  I'd suggest
something like Windows's ``hardware manager'' (in the System control
panel).

-GAWollman