Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 03:28:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      A Ling <fbsd2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: help with portupgrade portupgrade mess? (Solved)

   Sorry to follow-up my own post, and thanks much to
everyone who replied, but in case anyone else runs
into this, for the archives, I now think the problem
had nothing to do with rebuilding the port.  The last
paragraph of the man page warns:

Sometimes a database may get corrupt and the pkgtools
commands start to abort due to segmentation fault.  In
such cases, run ``pkgdb -fu'' to rebuild the database,
and the problems will go away.

Indeed, pkgdb -fu (but not pkgdb -u as I previously
repeatedly tried) seems to have fixed it.

   I think how this arose is that while waiting for a
particularly long time during the compilation of one
port, I opened a second xterm to upgrade some much
less complex ports.  Keeping an eye on both windows, I
was sure they never were both updating the package
database at the same time.  But they must have
collided & corrupted the database.

On Monday 30 September 2002, A Ling wrote:
> If I'd known I'd have troubles, I'd have kept a
> careful log of which errors occured under which
> conditions.  Unfortunately, I tried what seemed
> obvious after looking at the man pages and message
> archives, so the following is a reconstruction
> from
> memory.
>
> After doing 'portupgrade portupgrade', I got
>  /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:34:in `require': No
> such
> file to load --
> optparse (LoadError)
>
> After cvsup-ing ports, portsdb -uU and various
> portupgrade -r ruby portupgrade machinations, I
> started getting
> [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in
> /var/db/pkg
> ... - 266
> packages found (-1 +2) (...)Cannot allocate
> memory:
> Cannot update the
> pkgdb!]
>
> After searching the message archives and make
> deinstall; make clean; make reinstall of ruby* and
> portupgrade, I got memory allocation errors like
> this
> # pkgdb -u
> [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in
> /var/db/pkg
> ... - 187 packages found (-4 +4)

(...)/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkgdb.rb:435:in