Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:38:28 -0700
From:      Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
To:        snap-users@kame.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (KAME-snap 4439) FreeBSD fxp driver, offloading cryptography ...

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 06:36:58PM +0000, Gunther Schadow wrote:

 > question: is anyone working on the Intel Pro/100 S support in the
 > fxp driver? I have found Intel to distribute a Linux driver and
 > looking at the source code I found:

Where is the Intel-supplied Linux driver found?  I haven't found
it from a quick search on Intel's web site...

 > - no mention of the crypto functions in the Linux driver
 >
 > - that the FreeBSD fxp driver looks noticeably different from
 >   the Intel supplied Linux driver source
 >
 > I suppose that we have no good documentation on the crypto functions
 > of the Pro/100 S right? How could we get that information? Is anyone
 > working on this?

I am working on this (albiet for NetBSD), but don't yet have the
documentation I need.  Unfortunately, it seems as if Intel considers
the crypto function of the Pro/100S to be a trade secret (er, or
something).  Anyway, I'm trying to work out an acceptable arrangement
that would allow me access to the chip's documentation but also allow
me to release an open-source driver.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>