Date:      Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:21:02 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What USB dialup modem WILL work with 8.2?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 01:34:03PM -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:

> On the basis of what I now believe was malicious advice, I am out of pocket
> for a USB US Robotics 56k dialup modem.  However, this device attaches as a
> ugen device.  I haven't found a way to make ppp on demand work with it
> attached that way.
>
> I do not load umass because I am using hplip and it must be grabbed by ugen.
> Otherwise my kernel is generic.  However, I would be very surprised that
> umass is necessary for the modem to attach correctly.

umass should certainly not be needed for a modem to work, it is for
hard disks and the like.

What probably is needed on the other hand is umodem(4) and/or ucom(4).
I do not belive they are included in a GENERIC kernel so you might not
have those modules loaded.

If you have not already tried it make sure those modules are loaded
and see if your modem attaches to umodem.

> So I am asking again: does anyone have a dialup modem of any kind which
> works correctly on 8.x to provide ppp-on-demand? If so what is it?

IF you have a classic RS-232 serial port that is supported then any
external modem that connects via RS-232 should work.

As for what serial ports work is another question. Just about all of
those built-in on motherboards should work, but unfortunately many
modern motherboards do not include serial ports any longer.
Expansion cards (PCI or PCI-E) may or may not work depending on exactly
what chips are used on the cards.  (If that use classic 16550A chips
(or a good copy thereof) chances are excellent that it will work. If
they use more modern (and more powerful) chips the chances are not
quite so excellent.)

(As for promises about what *will* 100% guaranteed work, which seems to
be what you really want, I am afraid I can't give any.  It has been
several years since I last used a dialup modem, so I don't know for
sure what *will* work with todays software, only what should work.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson