Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smbfs problem with latest 4.4-RC

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Joe Clarke wrote:

> I just CVSup'd 4.4-RC an hour ago, and now I'm trying to use smbfs loaded
> as a module with the smbfs-1.4.1 port.  I'm getting the following:
>
> mount_smbfs: vfsload(smbfs): Exec format error
>
> When trying to do a mount_smbfs.  I searched the archives on -stable and
> -questions, but I didn't get any hits.  I know I must be doing something
> wrong, but I wanted to make sure.  file(1) reveals:
>
> smbfs.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
> not stripped
>
> file(1) of ntfs.ko (which loaded fine):
>
> ntfs.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
> not stripped
>
> The error in dmesg is:
>
> link_elf: symbol iconv_open undefined
> link_elf: symbol iconv_open undefined
> link_elf: symbol iconv_open undefined
>
> I do not have the iconv port loaded (smbfs-1.4.1 didn't require it).  The
> machine in question is:

Did you include relevant stuff from LINT in your kernel, i.e., from:

# SMB/CIFS requester
# NETSMB enables support for SMB protocol, it requires LIBMCHAIN and
# LIBICONV options.
# NETSMBCRYPTO enables support for encrypted passwords.
options         NETSMB            #SMB/CIFS requester
options         NETSMBCRYPTO      #encrypted password support for SMB

# mchain library. It can be either loaded as KLD or compiled into kernel
options         LIBMCHAIN               #mbuf management library

Mine works with this.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC