Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 22:06:49 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing (Kapok Notebook)

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 19:41 +0100, Karl M. Joch wrote:

> sorry for not adding the original post.

I never said something along these lines. :)  All I told you
was that if you refer to previous posts and want people to
look at them, then you should provide a handle which identifies
the message (Message-Id or archive URL) or enough characteristics
for a search (Date, From, To, Subject).  Or reply to this very
message and cite the relevant parts (*NOT* all the surrounding
stuff and have the receiver waste precious time to identify
what's important and what's not -- maybe even worse by reading
a message backwards).

> fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> fault virtual address = 0xeb65d
> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc00eb55e
> [ ... ]

Sorry, but this info is just as good as telling us "there's
something wrong".  All of these lines do contain important
information, but only you can make some use of them.  Since
these detailled information depends on _your_ hardware and
_your_ software setup, nobody in a geographical location
different from your spot (limited to the room the machine
lives in) can read anything into it.

The handbook has an extensive chapter on making use of crash
dumps.  I suggest you read it and provide the extract (call
stack with maybe parameter dumps) or even a solution (patch).

That is not meant to drive you away, but it's the only possible
reaction.  Sorry, again!

Can you please answer *below* the original text and cite what's
important while deleting the rest?  http://learn.to/quote
(German) and http://learn.to/edit_messages (English) talk about
the motivation and give hints.  Thank you!

> > For your searching here's the initial announcement, while many
> > people asked this question again and got answered, too. :)
> >   From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
> >   To: mobile@freebsd.org
> >   Cc: doc@freebsd.org
> >   Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:06:59 -0600
> >   Subject: MFC: ISA routing support

I hope you have read the above characterized article before
applying the settings.  It's always better to know what you
turn on/off instead of trying this blindly ... :)  From your
response I'm not clear if this was your "hang at boot" problem
or not.  Or if it was one of your problems.

Since you have to check the crash locally, I heavily trimmed
your kernel config and just put note on a few selected items.
Take it as hints and keep in mind that I'm not a guru.  I might
err as well. :>

> ############################################################################
> ##
> KERNEL CONFIG:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> #makeoptions DEBUG=-g #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

Enable this and set the "dumpdev" in rc.conf to point to your
swap device.  Look at LINT and search for the "DDB" option(s).

> options MATH_EMULATE #Support for x87 emulation

Do you need this on a 586?  I don't think so.  It's not critical,
but it consumes space (and is GPLed?).

> # ATA and ATAPI devices
> device ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
> device ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
> device ata

Do you need both variants of specifying hardwired resources as
well as auto attaching?  One is usually ISA and the other PCI,
you probably have only one controller in your machine and can
leave out the other line(s).  Your dmesg tells you you have
atapci, so you can drop the "at isa" lines.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net