Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:37:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Jon Parise <jcptch@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: webmail

I personally like running IMP with the CMU Cyrus server--Cyrus supports
quotas and a number of other features that make it great for integration
with IMP.  The best feature is that Cyrus is not intended to have local
UNIX accounts associated with it, and can use a number of different
sources of authentication information (.db files, Kerberos, and there are
patches for PAM, mysql, etc).  The latest versions (still beta?) support
the IETF script language allowing users to write sandboxed server-side
filtering rules.  That feature is still experimental, but to those of us
running closed servers, is a great boon.

IMP has a few Cyrus-related configuration flags so that it uses the
correct hierarchy characters, etc.  The documentation covers it all, I
believe.

Robert Watson

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Jon Parise wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 09:03:55AM -0300, Aldenor Falcao wrote:
>
> > 	I'd like to implement a free webmail site using IMP(like yahoo
> > mail), in my humble condition of none experience in this matter I'll rely
> > completely on everybody else mercy. Here is my questions:
>
> I wrote a introductory article on using imp with bsd for Daemon
> News.  It's available here:
>
>     http://www.daemonnews.org/199909/imp.html
>
> > 	1)best MTA to use(sendmail, qmail)
>
> Use whichever you prefer.  I'm familiar with imp installations
> using sendmail, qmail, and postfix.  All work fine with imp, and
> each has their own merits beyond the scope of imp.
>
> If you choose qmail and implement the Maildir format, you'll have
> to use a patched imap server; qmail does not include one of its
> own.
>
> > 		vmailmgr?
>
> As I recall, vmailmgr is used for managing virtual pop3 accounts.
> It's highly recommended that you use imp with imap accounts (pop3
> support is fledgling and lacks the features of imap).
>
> > 	2)best authentication scheme(RDBS or other)
> > 		mysql?
>
> MySql works fine, as does ldap authentication.  Have a look at
> Jason Belich's Scalable Webmail HOW-TO for more details:
>
>     http://horde.org/papers/Scalable_webmail_HOWTO.html
>
> --
> Jon Parise (parise@pobox.com)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology
> http://www.pobox.com/~parise/  :  Computer Science House Member