Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 2009 12:24:49 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C99 inlines

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 05:31:38AM -0500, David Schultz wrote:
> I'd like the gcc in our tree to use the C99 semantics instead of GNU
> semantics for inline functions in C99 and GNU99 mode. The following
> patch implements this behavior.  It is based on a snapshot of the gcc
> 4.3 branch from March 2007, prior to the GPLv3 switch.
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/~das/c99inline.diff
> What do people think about this?

would you be able to provide a short summary of how the C99 and
GNU99 semantics differ, so that people will have a easier time
figuring out how to handle the change ?

Especially, is there anything that a developer should worry about,
or except from some corner cases the switch will (and should) be
completely transparent to the average developer without a specific
interest in compilers ?

I know what I am asking is probably in the diff you supplied,
but it's a bit difficult to follow there

	thanks
	luigi