Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 09:11:08 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>
To:        mika ruohotie <bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net>
Cc:        hfwirth@ping.at (Helmut F. Wirth), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium MMX Extensions, Changes to (g)as and gdb

> > Hello,
> > I made some changes to gas and gdb to support the new MMX extensions
> > for the Pentium P55C.
>
> gee, cool. i didnt think we'd something about that this fast...
>
> what i'm interested in is, does the mmx cpu run normal freebsd any
> faster? the 'make world' is probably the only thing one could use
> for measuring it in the "reality" level... i would assume just coz of
> larger L1 cache it is already faster.

The MMX instructions themselves will not affect the speed of anything
resembling a "normal" code.  Intel's P5 cpus with MMX run faster because
they have a 2x bigger level1 cache and a few of the scheduling enhancements
that first showed up in P6.  Interestingly, the P6++ cpus with MMX (so-called
Pentium II) run slower than P6 at the same clock rate because of the
psuedo-on-chip level2 cache.

It's conceivable that pd libraries could
start showing up that use these instructions in specific assembly coded
routines.

I like the idea of putting the MMX instructions in though.

Russell