Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 11:18:22 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMware, one last question

On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 09:58:30PM -0500, Kenneth Culver wrote:
> OK, that is probably why it wouldn't work. I'm using new ATA. This is what
> it says when I try to boot to it:
> "Windows.hda" is not a recognized disk type.
> Failed to configure ide0:0
>
> Do you wish to continue with this disk disabled?

Ok. I solve the problem with new ATA driver. It's has two points.
1. Before open the raw device vmware validated his name. As say my
investigation, a name /dev/wdx vmware like. but name /dev/adx don't like.
2. After you were created the raw device in vmware configuration panel,
you _can't_ change the name of raw device, even if you entered new name,
and will be edit partition list, the name of raw device stay the same.

Solutions.
1. Even if you are use new ATA driver enter /dev/wdX device name. VMware
also doesn't like character device such as /dev/rwdx or /dev/radx.
2. If you already have raw disk configured with name other than /dev/wdX,
try to create new raw device, or manually in the first line of raw device
configuration file change the device name.

--
Vladimir Silyaev.