Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:29:51 +0100
From:      Bill Squire <billsf@curacao.n2it.nl>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   What should be reported and to who?

It has been mentioned that some ports are trivial while others require
rewrites of whole sections of C-code. I'm asking mainly about the first
question. Some (many?) ports simply build and work if you comment out
the #ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=                i386 part of the Makefile as shown.

This seems so obvious of a thing to try that I don't see the point in
saying anything about it, unless it persists a month or more. Ofcourse
if it compiles is not to suggest it works! The most common failures are
calling amd64 "x86_64" and using deprecated header files like <malloc.h>.

Open-motif compiles fine but is broken. This is why 'xpdf' dumps cores
like crazy. Compile it with 'gtk' (aka 'gpdf') and it works fine. Any
Microsoft code is crazy to port as this is the company that believed
it was "i386 forever" and will fall as a result. (If you like tedious
tasks, you will disagree.) Octave and Matlab are important to me and
they will be 'hacked to work'. Unfortunately Matlab sources cannot be
put online until someone enlightened gets in.

Bill

PS: We want Java!