Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 05:26:56 -0800
From:      Eric M Logan <ericmlogan@mediaone.net>
To:        STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Softupdates?

    How does one make use of softupdates with FreeBSD 4.2?  I've tried
"enabling" it via the "softdep" option in fstab and when I reboot, it
complains that the "-o softdep" options isn't supported.  I've tried
rebooting the computer in single mode and using "tunefs -n enable" but
when I issue the command "mount" the UFS is still specified?  Am I
missing something?  Btw, I'm using FreeBSD 4.2 with a recompiled kernel
supporting FFS/softupdate.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.