Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 2014 18:30:34 -0500
From:      Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org>
To:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whence RC4?

On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 03:59:15PM +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:

> >While I'm interested in this, I've also got the secondary goal of exploring
> >how to move back to using binary patches and freebsd-update
>
> see 'man freebsd-update' - the upgrade command is used to change
> release versions - RC to release needs an upgrade not just an update

As it turns out, I was able to take my RC3 system (compiled just after RC3
hit 10.1-releng) and use freebsd-update to move to RC4. This seems pretty
convenient. I'm going to unroll tarballs so all my checksums match for the
IDS function, but it seems that it was willing to apply updates based on what
changed between RC3 and RC4 despite my having built the RC3 locally.

> >How does FreeBSD deal with the lack of CVS-style tags? If one wanted to
> >recreate a 10.1-RC2 build, for instance, is there a sane way to do it, or
> >would it involve grovelling through commit logs for clues?
>
> Not sure what is officially used - sys/conf/newvers.sh is most likely
> the file to look at, it's commit log is mostly RC/Beta tags.

So I'd update to the revision noted for that file then? My personal use of
SVN has largely been archival for a while now, so I've not had to deal with
jumping between tags or its SVN equivalent. I think I'll do some reading to
fill the gaps, but finding the commit where that file changed version seems
reasonable.

Thanks!

--
The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig
to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which. - G. Orwell